Friday, January 15, 2010

Jan. 15: About Me

I am currently a senior at UCO. My major is history education and my minor is French.
I prefer to teach middle/high school students. I don't think I could handle elementary school kids. I love their enthusiasm for learning, but I would prefer to teach at the upper levels. They too can be enthusiastic if the classroom environment is structured in a way that allows teenagers to feel like they are part of something good. I once read somewhere that if you structure a learning environment where the students feel they are part of the solution, and not the problem, the teacher will be doing the student a great favor. Often people shy away from what may be more challenging and go straight to what is easy, but if the challenges are never confronted, neither the person nor situation can ever be improved.

My passions include traveling, cooking, studying languages and cultures (anything European, really), singing and dancing, and spending time with my little sister (she's my best friend...and when I say little, I mean she is only 3 years younger than me). I traveled to Italy, France, and Monaco about 6 years ago. I absolutely loved it!! I would love to return to Europe soon (my passport expires in 4 years!). I am interested in the study trip to southern Spain UCO is doing in May, but I don't know Spanish very well, and I would need to come up with some funds, but would love to go!

I attend Victory Christian Center in OKC. I have been going there for about 7 years. I love my church! My sister and I volunteer there in various capacities (music, children, greeting). I really enjoy talking to people about Jesus Christ and sharing my faith. I feel that it is God who has really directed me into the field of teaching.

I am a little nervous about the class. Despite my age (22) I'm not really into the latest technology and gadgets that are out. But I'm willing to learn and I'm excited about the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment